Sunday, September 12, 2010

3D

OK. Somebody needs to tell me what is up with this 3D-mania? You cannot go to a regular, good-old-fashioned movie anymore, because every stupid little thing needs to be in 3D. Why?


I mean I get it when we're talking about some really cool special effects, but Harry Potter in 3D? Really? Again, I ask why? He's going to do the same stuff he did in the last 4 or however many movies before this one. Did we feel like something was missing? Did you ever thought, during the screening 'Oh, I just wish that owl was in 3D so that I could feel REALLY involved in the plot'? Chances are, no, you did not. So why go to the trouble of filming it in 3D?




And that is not the only one I refer to. Every movies seems to be in 3D these days. I've seen cartoons and horror movies in 3D and I think the effect is better used with the horror ones, to be honest. The axe of the murderer coming out of the screen is a bit more impressive than Shrek's butt... I mean, seriously, has anyone actually felt like the 3D sequences (because, btw, not ALL the movie is going to be in 3D, just a handfull of scenes) were SO real that the experience was so much better than the regular movie? I didn't, and I've seen pretty much all the 3D movies showed on our screens.


Now, I understand progress, and I even understand our insatiable lust over everything new and hi-tech. But why build an entire type of industry for this stuff? We now can get 3D TVs for our homes, 3D movies, 3D games and 3D television channels. Why? Most of what you're going to 'experience' through the oh-so-exciting 3D effect is not getting close to 5% of what you can actually experience for yourself in real life. Stop playing 3D golf - get your clubs and get out of the house. Stop the virtual tour of Rome on your DVD player - get a reservation and hop on a plane.


As you might know, I am a great supporter of experiencing things first-hand and getting your own, as unbiased as possible, opinion about everything and anything. Sure, chances are, not all the stuff you know or believe in are going to come from a pure, personal and un-influenced experience in your life. Let's face it, there is not enough time to do it all. But sure as hell try!


So get off your butt, world, and try a new 3D experience: get your rusty bike out of the garage and ride it through a park; invite your friends over for a game of chess; travel and take the time to smell the flowers... Personally, I'm off to bake a 3D bread ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment