Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Teaching vs. Indoctrination

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like it when other people want to think for me. I have a brain, thank you for the offer, but no thank you. The same goes with feelings. Don't need a psychologist or a priest to tell me how I should feel or whether or not I have the right definition for what I feel.


Since we covered that, I need to say that teaching does not necessary mean indoctrination. At least the way I do it. Because I strongly believe in freedom of the thought, I always try to set up a safe and nonjudgemental environment for my students to express themselves. They always have the opportunity to contradict, argue or simply reject the premise that I'm presenting. What I seek is to just offer them the tools - information, statistics, facts - in an unbiased way so that they can form their own opinion. I only present my own when asked to do so, other than that, they need to use their own brains and personalities to come up with the answer.

So then, why is it so compelling for some people to push their own opinions and believes on the rest of us? 

I know a lot of people from various faiths and non-faiths, they are great people, good, helpful, a pleasure to talk to and be friends with and they have no problem with each other or with anyone else. They don't have this obsessive need to shove their believes into people's faces. Shouldn't there be like a law or something that can protect us from the first group? Oh, wait, there is; it's just that bullies will be bullies, no matter if they come at you with a bat or a bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment