Wednesday, March 3, 2010

High IQ or just ADD with a sprinkle of procastination?

It occurred to me recently that people who have higher than average IQ can adapt more easily to new situations, learn faster and are able to become proficient in more activities. This is my own idea, I did not bother (didn't have the time, actually, since I'm working on a deadline here) to check it against any studies or relevant literature.



Why think that? Well, for starters, some of the people I know (who are absolutely brilliant, I might add) seem to believe I am somewhat intelligent myself. I do not. They, however, want to prove me wrong at any chance, two of them actually resorting to nagging me into taking the Mensa test. After a few months of trying to ignore them, I crumbled under peer pressure and promised to go to the next testing, just so that I would have the proof I need to make them back off!

Anyway, let's just say that, with all the modesty aside, I can consider myself in the somewhat above average IQ gifted people (yes, I so like this 'gifted' thing - who exactly was the giver of this 'gift'?). Most of the time I find it a real bother, the reasons being so many I would never want to start writing that post. 

One of the main reasons is that, especially lately, with all this Networking Gone Wild faze the society goes trough, I find myself attracted to so many activities and interests in the same time, and, oddly enough, when sampled, they seem to go automatically in the list of things I would enjoy doing everyday, or at least very, very often. However, no amount of multitasking will grand you more than 24hour/day (minus a few microseconds due to the latest big earthquake). 

Or is it just a manifestation of my undiagnosed and later-set in ADD? I seem to go from one thing to another with the speed of light, often forgetting where I started off and doing a lot of procastinating in the meanwhile: because I get caught up in the photo part of my day, I push the deadline for my blog posting; to meet my blog self-imposed deadline, I leave the drawing of another project for later; and that project pushes another and then another and then Holy Shit! I haven't slept in two days and there are soooo many things I wanted to fit into these hours but didn't!

Or is it that ADD comes with the higher IQ? Some sort of package deal, so that you won't go crazy? 'Cause you might if you want to keep at all the things you are good at, take pleasure doing and are interested about. I tell you, I've tried. It's like being the only hound on the track trying to chase 12 rabbits all going into different directions.

So, what is it then? When, where and why should you draw the line? What are the things you should leave unexplored and what are the ones that will make you truly happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment