Friday, March 5, 2010

TV, but not on TV - Pilot

As most of my friends know, I fought my TV addiction a few years back and won. That is to say that I turn the TV on so rarely, that when I do (only under peer pressure) the channels are all scrambled and I need to reset it. Very proud of myself, I am :)

The reasons why I saw my watching TV as an addiction are various and numerous; to give a few examples: the fact that mostly everything on Romanian TV is not worth watching in the first place, the impossibility to predict or to accurately schedule a viewing of your favorite show (no TiVo), the abundance of science-related shows (Discovery type), home-improvement shows, culinary shows and others of the sort that can catch your attention on the spot and keep you hooked for much longer than you intended to spend in front of the darn thing and many many more.

However, this doesn't mean that I don't watch - online, on DVD or from other various sources - programs intended for the TV screen. I find this practice much more satisfying and flexible, because you can make your own schedule and actually respect it, and you can easily fill up that 30 minutes break you have on Sunday in between housework and going out to dinner with friends. Or, if you are much like me, you can multi-task and catch up with the latest episode of your favorite show while checking emails and eating dinner :)

So, what I want to do is start a series of posts that briefly present and comment on some of the shows and series I love to watch. There are a few very high on top, and mostly unknown to the Romanian public, but, while reviewing my preferences, I discovered them to be many and varied, on the whole - hence the necessity  of a series of posts instead of a mile-long singular post.


In the end, I direct you to a very nice and concise video about TV addiction:

No comments:

Post a Comment