Thursday, March 11, 2010

Melting Butter

Since I started flirting with baking, the activity I found most difficult was melting butter. Yes, that's right.

While it may seem a very easy thing to do, I discovered it to be a real art. There are many ways to spoil the butter, especially if you want it to melt quickly. Therefore, I did what any new-baking person could do in our day: searched the web. The most useful results were the following:

eHow Guide of How to Melt Butter
Nookcook's guide to how to melt butter using a microwave oven

However, after a few minutes of reading through various methods, I returned to my own: weighing the needed quantity of butter and leaving it in a small, open, glass container on the radiator. This will work in winter, but I imagine that during summer, half an hour spent at room temperature would do the trick just the same.

It's a bit tedious, but the safest way to get the butter at the density level you need it.

4 comments:

  1. Or, what you can do is make sure you choose the "right" butter brand. I myself had the same problem, but discovered that I LOVE Oldenurger, after years and years in which I have been a faithful client of President. Oldenburger is a soft, creamy, yellowish butter which will melt to the right temperature in just the blink of an eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I try to use ingredients that are more on the 'eco' and 'bio' side. The only 'bio' butter brand that I could find, however, was 'Dorna' and I found it a bit salty for my needs. So I use the butter I always preferred: 'Meggle'.
    Where do you usually shop for ingredients? I use the regular hypermarkets, but I think I'll start scouting for some 'eco' and 'bio' specialized shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pai draga mea, eu imi caut ECO si BIO la tarani, sincera sa fiu.. desi sunt constienta ca poate nici ei nu pun ingrasamintele care trebuie. Daca nu iau de la tarani, iau cu mare atentie la ce scrie pe eticheta - unele lucruri le evit constant, altele pot sa le accept. Multe chestii interesante gasesti la Plafar si magazinele naturiste. De curand am vazut si un magazin cu produse Eco, dar, ca un facut, am uitat pe unde.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I've heard about a BIO store in Carrefour Baneasa, but I never went there to see for myself.
    I remember, however, passing by a BIO store somewhere behind the Victoriei CEC, around the many police stations. I don't know the name of the street, or if it's still there - I saw it last summer.

    ReplyDelete